Oil Change Service at Fraser Chrysler
Factory-Certified Oil Change Service in Oshawa, ON
An oil change service is one of the most common and most important maintenance procedures done on your vehicle. Engine oil is the lifeblood of your vehicle’s internal combustion engine. It does everything from lubricating vital mechanical components to cooling the heat generated by the engine. Regular oil changes are essential for the continued reliability, efficiency and performance of your vehicle. Continue reading below to learn more about the factory-certified oil change service that we proudly offer right here at Fraser Durham Chrysler.
What is an Oil Change?
An oil change is a routine maintenance procedure that involves draining the old engine oil from a vehicle’s engine and replacing it with fresh, clean oil. The purpose of an oil change is to remove dirt, debris, and other contaminants that can accumulate in the oil over time, and to replenish the engine with clean oil that will help lubricate its moving parts and prevent wear and tear.
Why Do I Need to Change the Oil in My Car?
Changing the oil in your car is important to ensure that your engine is properly lubricated, running efficiently, and protected from damage.
- Lubrication: Engine oil is responsible for lubricating the moving parts of your car’s engine, such as the pistons, valves, and bearings. Over time, oil can break down and lose its lubricating properties, which can cause these parts to wear out faster and potentially lead to engine damage.
- Engine Performance: Fresh oil helps to keep your engine running smoothly and efficiently. Dirty or old oil can cause your engine to run less efficiently, which can lead to reduced power and fuel economy.
- Contaminants: Over time, dirt, debris, and other contaminants can accumulate in your engine oil. These contaminants can cause damage to your engine if they are not removed through regular oil changes.
- Heat: As your engine runs, it generates heat. Engine oil helps to cool the engine by carrying heat away from the moving parts. Over time, oil can break down and lose its ability to absorb and dissipate heat, which can cause your engine to overheat.
Warranty: Many car manufacturers require regular oil changes as a condition of their warranty. Failure to adhere to the recommended oil change schedule could void your warranty.
How Can I Tell If My Car Needs An Oil Change?
There are several signs that may indicate that your car needs an oil change. A few things to keep a look out for include:
- Dashboard Warning Light: Most modern vehicles have a dashboard warning light that will illuminate when the engine oil needs to be changed. This light is usually a small icon that looks like an oil can or a “check engine” light.
- Strange Noises: If you hear unusual noises coming from your engine, it may be a sign that your engine is not properly lubricated. This can be caused by dirty or low engine oil.
- Exhaust Smoke: If you notice blue or gray smoke coming from your car’s exhaust, it may be a sign that your engine oil is burning, which could be due to low or dirty oil.
- Poor Engine Performance: If your engine is running poorly, such as running rough or lacking power, it may be a sign that your engine oil needs to be changed.
Oil Level: Check your car’s oil level regularly by using the dipstick or through the multimedia system. If the oil level is low, it may indicate that it’s time for an oil change. Additionally, if the oil on the dipstick appears dark and dirty, it is likely time for an oil change.
How Often Do I Need to Perform an Oil Change Service?
Oil change service intervals depend on a variety of different factors including the type of vehicle you drive, the type of road and driving conditions your car undergoes, as well as the type of oil being used. As a general rule of thumb, oil changes are typically recommended every 5,000 to 10,000 kilometers or every six months, whichever comes first. For the most accurate oil change interval for your specific vehicle, consult your owner’s manual or speak with one of our knowledgeable service advisors.
Interested in bringing your vehicle in for an oil change service? Fill out the form below, or give us a call directly to book your service appointment. Fraser Durham Chrysler is your go-to vehicle service and maintenance shop in Oshawa, Ontario. Our highly skilled technicians are here to take care of your Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, or off-make vehicle. We look forward to serving you, and having your vehicle back on the road in peak operating condition.